Monday, May 21, 2012

Military Week-Monday

In honor of the upcoming Memorial Day observation, I will be posting various gravestones I have run across in my journeys that have military connections.  

This is one I recently ran across at St Paul's United Methodist Church, Laytonsville, Montgomery County, Maryland.  It is actually a memorial as you will see.


And another view:


It states:
In Memory of Our Son 
PVT Francis Fillmore Barber 
Company D, 102nd Infantry
Died From Wounds
Received In Action In France
Mar 6, 1898 - July 29, 1918

Francis Barber is actually buried in the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery, Belleau, France as I found out from the American Battle Monuments Commission website:



I was unable to find an obituary for Francis Barber but did find on Ancestry.Com that he enlisted on 1 May 1917 as a Private First Class and promoted to Private on 13 March 1918.  He was sent overseas on 15 December 1917.  He parents were Edward H. and Frances E. Barber, who are buried next to him.


Thank you for your sacrifice Private Francis Fillmore Barber.

No comments:

Post a Comment