Thursday, May 23, 2013

Military Week - Thursday

I always try to find the obituary or some other information from a database when I post a gravestone. Sometimes I find some tragic deaths and sometimes I find milestones I never knew.  Today's is the latter.  While searching for a military related gravestone to honor this Military Week, I found:

ANN MARIE FRAZIER
US ARMY
WORLD WAR II
JUL 14 1920 MAY 14 1951
WOMEN'S ARMY CORPS




My first thought was she was so young.  Not yet 31 years old.  Then I find the obituary and towards the read this line "Mrs. Frazier was the first colored WAC from Frederick".  WOW.  Impressive. I'm sure she probably had some good stories to tell!

Frederick News
Frederick, MD
Tuesday, May 15, 1951

Thank you Ann Marie Thomas Frazier for your service 
and your courage to be one of the first African-American WAC's

No comments:

Post a Comment